Thursday, August 19, 2010

An emotional band

Raksha Bandhan, a Hindu festival which celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters.  It is celebrated on the full moon of the Sharvaana Masam.  This festival marks the tying of a rakhi on the wrist of the brother by the sister (not necessarily blood relations).

Being the only child, I never had someone tying a rakhi to me.  As a kid, I always used to feel bad when my friends came to school with rakhi on their wrists and I used to go back home pestering my mom as to why I did not have a sister.  Unable to bear my tantrums, my parents also posted a rakhi on my cousin's name when I was in 3rd grade only to see a glowing smile on my face.  But as I grew up, I began to cherish my loneliness and no longer craved for people or attention.

As they say 'Change is the only constant'  and this change found it's destiny several years later in Uncle Sam's humble abode in Connecticut. As I opened my mail box, I as usual found some bunch of junk mails lying but among them was this mail from my best friend Soumya Rampally.  I did not even have the slightest clue that Rakhi was fast approaching this year and when I opened the mail, I was pleasantly surprised to have received Rakhi from Soumya.


Thanks Soumya!! You have been the most wonderful and the best sister I could have ever asked for. I wish we could meet personally on this day if not for the miles apart that we stay :)

1 comment:

Soumya said...

haha.. thank u thank u..I am glad you liked it !! But I was thinking you guessed it already when I asked for your address :)