Saturday, April 14, 2007

the new year dish!!!!!



Today being Tamil new year's day I wanted to wake up early in the morning and cook something special and I did wake up after 3 of my alarms finally stopped ringing.....(I know my roommate might be cursing me bcoz this is the way I wake up everyday with 3 of my alarms ringing for a span of every 15 mins. :)) !!!!).....got up at 8:30 with a zeal to do something different today so that my family back in India would be proud especially my mom.....!!!!!! First I went and had a nice cup of tea(ahhh!!!! that tea made my day...:P...I finally had a chance to have some good tea after many months....) and then went and had my head bath....which I used to hate a lot when I was in India but here surprisingly.....[:P] then went ahead calling my relatives in India and also here in US wishing them a happy new year....made it a point that I wish them all in Tamil(supposed to be my mother tongue) and wished them saying "inniyai puthandu nall vazhthugal"(now that's happy new year in tamil for people who are still trying to figure out what it exactly means...)....now comes the biiiiiiiigggggg thing....:P I got into the act of making gulab jamuns(this is an Indian sweet dish).....it had a disastrous start where I ended up pouring more amount of water than required to the mix I purchased a day earlier exclusively for this occasion......(it was when I realized why people tell water is useful, don't waste it...:P).....I took my laptop to the kitchen, had my mother come online and give me instructions as to how to proceed further to avoid any further complications....luckily 2.5 hours of my hard work finally paid off and here lies the gulab jamun that u can see in the pic. :)......then took a few snaps and sent it to my mom to have an expert's opinion... :P) She was very elated seeing my effort and at the same time felt bad that she couldn't taste it....!!!! I told her "mom, u don't worry I would cook for u when I come down to India during my break"......... Hope I do that at least for one day during the break when I get back to India.... :P!!!!!

1 comment:

Navya Reddy said...

Its stimulating my appetite ...:P
Definitely a carnival 4 eyes (donno abt stomach tho ...lol)anyways its my fav dish & I luv the way gulab jamun rolls off the tongue....
I would appreciate if u com up with som recipes next time...
The alarm thing sounds hilarious 2 me... bt i wud rather prefer 2 stay away from ppl who make soo much of noise b4 waking up...:D